7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 107) Advent edition




The preparation for Christmas is about to begin. Traditionally, I haven’t actually done much physical preparation. I don’t decorate because I go home for the holidays, and my parents have already decorated the house by the time I get there. I don’t have Christmas lights or villages or garlands. I do have an Advent wreath (some years), but mostly, my preparation is following a daily devotional. This year, however, I’m in decorate mode. I want a tree and crafts and stockings. I want to make things.

Last night I realized that this desire is nesting. Just as a woman nests close to the birth of a child, people nest close to the coming of Christ. We want to make the house cozy and receptive. We want to busy ourselves. We want to be prepared to the huge change about to occur. 

So I normally don’t make a list of things to accomplish during penitential seasons. Partly because I don’t do much and partly because I usually fail Lent miserably. However, this year, in my nesting fever, I’m making a list and checking it twice:

1. Make a Jesse tree. This includes making each ornament for it and reading the related scripture.

2. Quotes about Advent. Find one for each day.

3. Advent wreath.

4. Support an Angel tree.

5. The annual viewing of A Charlie Brown Christmas and The Muppet Christmas Carol.

6. Write Christmas cards.

7. Abstain from meat on Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment