The Future (and the Church) is Female


Christianity isn’t sexist. But its followers can be. I see a lot of sexism, usually subtle, unintentional, or so institutionalized that it’s difficult to call out. Somewhere between being totally run over and bucking the system is the answer. Call out gross abuses, correct those who can’t see it, be patient and bear your personal offences. 

It would be better for all if women were truly valued and given the same respect and attention as men, if their voices as head, their accomplishments as lauded, their revelations as adhered to. The feminine mind and voice and spirit completes the Church. The Church herself is feminine. It is detrimental to regulate women to their own corner, a special category, a second class.   

I don’t have solutions. I don’t even have the energy to remind angered. Instead, since it’s International Women’s Day, I want to celebrate some of my favorite women saints. (Hildegard of Bingen rounded out my top 10, but I only had nine slots in my picture.)

Agnes, Mary Magdalene, Joan of Arc, Helena, Mary, Emilia, Lucy, Jane de Chantel, and Catherine of Siena, ora pro nobis!

No comments:

Post a Comment