7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 59)




1. I live in Tennessee, so when it snows, people go a little nuts. Fortunately, everything shuts down at the rumor of accumulation, so I get to stay home in my pajamas watching the pretty flakes from my window.  And we actually got accumulation, which around here is a BIG DEAL. Make fun of Southerners for not knowing how to drive in snow, but at least we appreciate it with the giddiness of 7-year-olds.

2. I attended all my morning classes (night class canceled due to snow), and it looks like this semester is going to be a lot of work. But this is possibly the last time I’ll have to take 15 hours at a time, so I feel like there is a light at the other end of this long tunnel. 

3. I never remember my calculator on the first day of classes. This has happened every single semester since going into accounting. My brain just can’t process that I’m in classes that require math.

4. I actually have some good ideas for blog topics. Hopefully I’ll churn some out this weekend, otherwise schoolwork will prevent me from actually writing them until…who knows.

5. I’ve been suffering through some rough seasons of Star Trek: Voyager on Netflix. I was rewarded with some great season six episodes, and then another great episode from season seven that I watched yesterday afternoon. “Critical Care” looks at the injustice of a healthcare system that prioritizes patients based on how much they contribute to society instead of the medical need. It really made me sad because it hit so close to home. A person should receive the best treatment a country can give, regardless of job. No one should have to choose between housing foreclosure or cancer treatments; no one should avoid the doctor because of insurance bureaucracy; no one should lose their access to medical care because they lost their job. It’s one of those issues about which I don’t care about the arguments. To me, it’s black and white: if someone is sick or injured, the community should do all they can to help.

6. In one of my dreams this week, a villain from a former dream turned out to be a pretty cool dude, and after trying to kill me, we hung out a bit. I love when my dreams have reoccurring characters and awesome sequels. I really need to get back in the habit of recording my dreams.

7. I keep myself entertained before Mass with thoughts like this. (Don't worry: I only tweet after church.) I really think sacrilspeck should be a word.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment