Colbert Catechism


This video has Stephen Colbert talking to Fr. James Martin about the faith. I like how Colbert is serious and knowledgeable about his faith in public without being pushy about it; he’s a good example, and this is a good video.
I liked the questions Fr. Martin asked, so I answered them for myself.

What are you giving up for Lent?

I didn’t give anything up this year. Instead, I’m reading the Catechism. I want to also read another book about faith (since the first one didn’t pan out). I want to had a regular Chaplet of Divine Mercy as well. But, as usual, I’m in third-week-of-Lent slump, so these are more of goals than practices.

If you had one thing to say to Pope Francis, what would it be?

I really have no idea. I’m tempted to say I’d ask for a job, but I know I wouldn’t actually do that. Maybe ask for book recommendations?  

Who’s your favorite saint?

Francis de Sales. My confirmation saint, a Doctor of the Church, awesome writer to the laity, massive converter of Calvinists—what’s not to like?

Favorite scripture passage?

John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to be through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Favorite hymn?

“Be Thou My Vision.” “What Wondrous Love is This” is in the top five though!

No comments:

Post a Comment