It’s Not Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas

I’m not putting up a Christmas tree this year. No day set aside for forgettable movies in the background while I scratch my arms on plastic needles and figure out why the middle string of lights don’t work. No second day set aside in January to take it all down again and have the room looking empty. No finding needles from the Jesse tree all over the house. No remembering to turn on or off lights or worrying about breaking precious ornaments or going through the holiday routines that no one but me would see. Other than the Advent wreath and the stack of presents on a side table, my house doesn’t look Christmasy at all. And I’m really ok with that.

I thought maybe as Christmas got closer I’d have more of an urge for decorations. But I haven’t. Christmas is still coming. I’m looking forward to the holiday and to the time off work, but I’m also sitting in Advent, reflecting, and not in an overly eager anticipation.

I do miss going through my ornaments, which are mostly sentimental. The tree will probably return next year. But decorating for Christmas shouldn’t be a burden, especially if the decorations are for no one but myself. We do we decorate so much for Christmas? Some say it’s to fight the winter gloom. But it’s still autumn right now. And it’s still fairly warm out. Rather, in the real middle of winter, we have the start of Lent and a period of austerity. Do we do it to welcome the Christ Child? That would be the noblest answer. But the secularization of Christmas certainly overlooks the actual reason for the season. And what decoration does an infant need? Beyond twinkle lights, newborns aren’t particularly keen on noticing décor.

Decorations are for us, for our feelings, for showing off our homes during Christmas parties, for getting children excited about the holiday. If they make us feel good and remind us of the hope and peace of Christ’s coming, then they are worth it. If they are a burden or stressful or competitive, then it’s better to forgo them altogether. Christmas will come either way. Christ will come either way.

I don’t need a tree or garlands or a nativity scene this year. I can’t really articulate why this year compared to others. But it’s certainly been less stressful and less work. The coming of Christ can still be a big deal without making all the stuff around Christmas a big deal. My house will look mostly the same on Jan. 7 as it does today. But hopefully my heart is different. Hopefully I’ve made room this Advent and Christmas season for interior reflection and spiritual growth, even if nothing outside looks different.

No comments:

Post a Comment