New pope edition! Just some of the things I've seen following Pope Francis' election.
1. What really goes on in the Sistine Chapel during conclave.
2. This seagull perched on the smokestack on the afternoon of the second day of voting. An early indication that the new pope would take the name of the patron saint of animals?
3. A comparison from the last papal election. I worry that we now experience the world through artificial means and miss out on the realness of the moment. I'm as guilty of it as anyone, but pictures like this always remind me of it.
4. He looked adorably nervous steeping out onto the balcony for the first time.
5. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered about this, seeing as Xavier was a Jesuit. However, the Vatican has confirmed the pope's name is in honor of Francis of Assisi.
6. No matter which Francis the pope honors, the title is Pope Francis, not Francis I. As a student journalist, this was a big pet peeve of mine. There is no such thing as a "first annual" something, because it's not annual until it's done two years in a row. Same principle applies here.
7. Papal photo trifecta!
(edit: Apparently that's not Pope Francis in the center. That's what I get for trusting facebook posts.)