7 Quick Takes Friday (vol 24.)



1. I had a great time in Austin. We had wonderful weather for just roaming around, going to the capital, touring the LBJ ranch, etc. And I’m glad we got out of there before the South by Southwest crowds moved in.

2. My mom bought me the Great Courses: History of the Catholic Church CDs for my Rite of Election. I’m about a 1/3 of the way through, and it is so good. Even without the theology, it’s a great seminar on the history of the fall of Rome and medieval period, which my history courses failed to teach in school. Usually classes would just jump from Caesar Augustus to 1500 Italy. I now know way more about the 4th century than I ever thought I would.

3. I’m not ready for break to end. My brain is all mushy. I’m pretty sure I’ve forgotten everything I had learned before break.

4. But that just makes me surer of taking summer school. If one week of break makes my brain mushy, I don’t know what four months would do.

5. I don’t want to sound heartless, because child soldiers are indeed very sad, but this Kony2012 thing isn’t working for me. It just sounds like he’s running for president.

6. Plus, while I’m glad things like this get awareness, I don’t like when something is the popular cause of the moment. People jump on the bandwagon to support something without taking the time to research it or do anything other than post about it on Facebook, and then in a few weeks it’s replaced by the next fad cause. Awareness is good, and I’m sure it has attracted people who will actually take up this cause and do something about it, but there is something that irks me about an issue having to be the “in” cause before it gets noticed.

7.Yep, it's still Lent. Don't give up.


Check out others' Quick Takes here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the Kony 2012 thing. Plus I've read some pretty disappointing reviews of Inivisible Children (like they only use 32% of their donations to actually help people.) I'm glad that someone is trying to raise awareness but I wish it was for a better organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally with you on the Kony2012 thing...

    ReplyDelete