7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 40)



1. I didn’t write any last week. Finals, even for summer session, took over. I’m pretty disappointed in my grades (not that they are bad; they just aren’t a 4.0), and that’s making me nervous for the fall. If I can’t do well when I’m taking two classes, how am I going to do taking five?

2. I’ve been thinking about ending lines to books recently. A good ending line can make or break my opinion of the book. I consider F. Scott Fitzgerald one of my favorite authors, but I didn’t like The Great Gatsby or This Side of Paradise until after I finished them. I think that is because Fitzgerald is just that awesome at distilling the whole story in a great ending. I don’t think it is a coincidence that three of my favorite books have three amazing last lines:

 



"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."



 

 

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."



 



  "He loved Big Brother."







3. Speaking of The Great Gatsby, the new movie was supposed to come out this Christmas, but it got moved to summer 2013. I already have to wait that long for the next Star Trek. Basically, the delay means I’m cinematically done with 2012.

4. I’ve really enjoyed the news being about good things, like the Olympics and the Curiosity landing. Yes, I went to an opening ceremony viewing party. Yes, I stayed up late to watch Curiosity land. I love when humanity gets all unified and awesome.

5. And then awful stuff like two mass shootings in two weeks happens. I saw this making the rounds on some blogs and Facebook, which pretty much sums up all I want to say about that:


 6. I’m getting ready to head on a 6 hour trip to see some college friends this weekend. I’ve downloaded lots of podcasts for the 12 hours of driving. So if you’re on I-81 or I-40 in Tennessee this weekend, yes, I’m that weirdo you see laughing and talking to herself in the car. I get really involved in talking back to people on podcasts.

7. As I was typing #6, Word tried to correct “I-81 or I-40” to “me-81 or me-40.” So now I’m calling it the menterstate system, which sounds like a system for mentors. I need sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment