7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 70)



1. I know, I know. I’ve been awful about writing this past month. I’ve been travelling a lot, and I only work well with a routine. But I’ve had a great time seeing lots of friends!

2. I’m 95% sure I have a job once school starts. The contract isn’t signed yet, but I have accepted a GA position. And it’s within my field and using skills I like using, so I’m really excited (which is why I’m sure something will go wrong).

3. I’ve been watching some King of the Hill this week, and I’m starting to think Hank Hill and I share a lot of thoughts on God and church. (I could probably make this its own post.) 

  • On all the amenities of mega-churches: “If I wanted to go that route, I could just walk around the mall and think about Jesus.” (S10E11, pretty much all of “Church Hopping” is gold.)
  • On praying before meals: “God appreciates the support, but I’m sure He doesn’t want the pot roast to get cold, so let’s wrap it up.” (S8E02)
  • On Christian rock: “When I was young, you went to rock’n’roll concerts on Saturday night and asked for forgiveness on Sunday. Now it’s all mixed together.” (S8E02)
  • On “hip” marketing of Christianity: I never thought that Members Only jacket would go out of style, but it did. I know you think stuff you’re doing now is cool, but in a few years you’re going to think it’s lame, and I don’t want the Lord to end up in this box.”(S8E02)

4. Some friends and I are planning some church visits this month, and I’m really looking forward to them. I’ve written up a grading scale and everything. I really want to be less judgmental of non-denominational churches and praise bands, so I’m really going to try to find the positive in each visit and write on it.

5. I’ve started reading Orthodoxy. Chesterton already had me hooked with the Table of Contents.


6. I’m also reading Around the World in 80 Days. I often think I was born 100 years too late. My love of late Victorian/Edwardian literature adds to that thought. But if I were born in the 1880s, I would probably have a weird affinity for the Enlightenment.

7. I miss Orkney. Everything else I do is just a back-up plan to marrying a Scotsman, raising sheep, and becoming a reclusive novelist.

No comments:

Post a Comment