Friday, August 23, 2013
7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 73)
1. I finally finished Around the World in 80 Days. I thought it was going to take me 80 days to get through it, but once I got them on an elephant in India, I was hooked. There is something about Victorian literature that really gets to me. Compared with more contemporary novels, the voices are stand-offish. There is never too much description about a character’s inner thoughts or feelings. And yet I get really attached the characters by the end. The sense of anachronism continues.
2. So now I really want to start another Jules Verne book, which means Orthodoxy is being put on hold again, as well as The Girls of Atomic City and The Brothers Karamasov. I was going to get those read before school started. Oops. And then I randomly started The Time Machine yesterday, so everything gets doubly bumped.
4. The students are moving into the dorms this week, which has made campus way too crowded for my taste. I like the summer population better.
5. I’ve been playing around on InDesign and Photoshop all week. I had forgotten how much I loved doing layout. Making clean, orderly, informative things. It’s work, but soothing at the same time.
6. Speaking of informative, I love this list of maps. I love maps in general, but these are particularly good.
7. I saw this video yesterday and instantly loved it. I like when a song can be parodied well. Plus, what an awesome song choice.