7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 111) Brexit edition

1. The British are leaving! The British are leaving! I've been fascinated by the Brexit vote. I honestly didn't expect leave to win (I don't think most did). Honestly, I don't think it's as terrible as people are making it. Yes, the economy will suffer, but it will with any change. I think those that voted to leave had some reasonable arguments. They don't want a foreign, un-elected body making laws for them. They want localized control. However, leaving the EU has big ramifications. In my view, the biggest would be the potential breaking up of the UK, as Northern Ireland and Scotland both want to split and join the EU (as part of the Republic of Ireland and an independent state, respectively). At this point, it's too soon to actually know how it will all play out, but it's a major event that is worth investigating, even as an American.

2. Some Americans are less informed:
3. The Remain side:
4. The Leave side:
5. The result of closing the borders:
6. Potential result across Europe:
7. With the Fourth of July coming up:

No comments:

Post a Comment