Yes, it is fall, so of course people have already decorated for Christmas. This probably wasn’t a problem with people used real greenery. The early-Christmas people used to bother me. OK, they still do. But this year I’ve found myself a little more understanding. What is wrong with decorating early? Well, for one, I live in an area that truly has all four seasons. The leaves are still turning orange and falling. I’ve just pulled out my jackets, and it’ll be another week before the sweaters and boots join them. Fall is a great season; it’s the season of crisp air and harvest. It’s the season of Thanksgiving. Why would people want to gloss over enjoying fall to its fullest? But to a greater reason, Christmas is a holy day, part of a liturgical calendar, with a full four weeks devoted to its preparation. There is no need to prepare for Christmas before Advent. To do so shows complete liturgical disregard.
It's the Most Frustrating Time of the Year
Yes, it is fall, so of course people have already decorated for Christmas. This probably wasn’t a problem with people used real greenery. The early-Christmas people used to bother me. OK, they still do. But this year I’ve found myself a little more understanding. What is wrong with decorating early? Well, for one, I live in an area that truly has all four seasons. The leaves are still turning orange and falling. I’ve just pulled out my jackets, and it’ll be another week before the sweaters and boots join them. Fall is a great season; it’s the season of crisp air and harvest. It’s the season of Thanksgiving. Why would people want to gloss over enjoying fall to its fullest? But to a greater reason, Christmas is a holy day, part of a liturgical calendar, with a full four weeks devoted to its preparation. There is no need to prepare for Christmas before Advent. To do so shows complete liturgical disregard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
New pope edition! Just some of the things I've seen following Pope Francis' election . 1. What really goes on in the Sistine Ch...
-
"Since the highest good is known and acquired in the truth, and that truth is wisdom, let us enjoy to the full the highest good, which ...
-
What is the purpose of asking God for things? Doesn’t He already know what we want, and more importantly, what we need? C. S. Lewis asked th...

No comments:
Post a Comment