Go Plow a Field

I’ve tried to shy away from referring to myself as a mystic, but mysticism, mystic writers, and worlds of symbolism seem to routinely enter my life. I’ve been reading some mystic writers, including St. Teresa of Avila as part of a reading challenge. It’s easy to get lost in the beauty; it’s harder to implement into real life.

Awhile ago I was talking to someone who shared that when he joined a parish, several people expected him to be mystical, given his Benedictine background. They saw someone who had been part of a religious order and expected him to be lofty and holy. They wanted someone who would prioritize adoration and philosophy over things like building projects and charity. “I was like, go plow a field,” he told me. Their idea of a former monk was a mystic. But he was more rooted in practicality, in doing the faith more than thinking about it, in ora et labora.

“Go plow a field,” has kept resonating with me. When things get tough or complicated or confusing, it’s best to resort to productive work. Beyond completing a useful task, the activity pulls the mind out of the clouds, out of the words, back into the concrete and present. While private prayer and philosophy are important, they must be used in context. We each have been put in a specific time and place, and it is there where are meant to work out our salvation. We are called to address specific challenges where we find ourselves. The mysticism can permeate, but the reality must be acknowledged. We are fully whole when we choose to live in our present time and place, when we embrace the part of creation in which we have been placed.

I’ve been bad about keeping a garden this year. I got nothing new planted, and I’ve not kept up with weeding. My spiritual life has sort of been the same way; nothing new planted, barely maintained, weeds creeping in. It takes effort and continuous attention. It is good for me to be active, both in the garden and in my own growth. The act itself, regardless of the harvest, is good for me. I need to drop the plans and overthinking and just go plow the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment