7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 67)




1. I’m officially a grad student! I’m signed up for classes and everything.
"What are you going to do with that?"
For now, study something I care about rather than dread getting out of bed each morning. I’ll let the rest sort itself out. (But seriously, I hate that question. Just be happy for me.)

2. Slightly related, I’m leaving for Northern Ireland and Scotland Tuesday. I’m looking forward to a month of studying the roots of Appalachian immigrants. And a part of me (my hair) is excited about fleeing from the hot humidity.

3. Movie plug #1: I saw The Great Gatsby last week. I thought it was a great pairing of director and story. It was over-the-top and at points shallow, which I think is the point.

4. I have a weird love for F. Scott Fitzgerald. He’s the only American to make my favorite authors list, even though I never really like his novels while I’m reading them; he always wins me over by the last sentence. Seeing The Great Gatsby made me want to read some Fitzgerald, but unfortunately, I’ve lost my copy of This Side of Paradise. (Paradise lost.)

5. Movie plug #2: I saw Star Trek Into Darkness last Friday. I went in with low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. In Trekkie form, I can point out a lot of holes. But while in the theater, I really enjoyed it, and I already want to see it again. I don’t mind the heavy homage to Wrath of Khan.

6. My biggest problem with Into Darkness is that it made me want to watch Wrath of Khan, but to watch Wrath of Khan, you need to watch the TOS episode “Space Seed.” And with the tribbles in the movie, I also want to watch “The Trouble with Tribbles,” and if you watch that, you need to watch the DS9 episode “Trials and Tribble-ations.” It’s a deep Star Trek spiral.

7. Best image I saw all week:

No comments:

Post a Comment