7 Quick Takes Friday (vol. 69)



1. It took me a few days to get used to the dark again. The longest day of the year is a lot shorter in Tennessee than in Orkney. By 9:00, it is actually dark outside, and the sun doesn’t come up until after 6. What madness. And the days are only getting shorter.

2. Last summer, I accidently went a whole week without talking to anyone. I admit, I’m a bit jealous of my former self. I’m grateful for the family and friends I’ve been hanging out with, but there is something so delightful in the thought of an entire week without any obligations.

3. The trip is over, but the work is not! I’m working on some essays and cleaning up journal entries for the study abroad so I can actually get a grade. Once I get them done, it’s back to traveling! I have three trips to visit friends and family planned for July.

4. I’m also on the prowl for an on-campus job and volunteer work. I’m also planning on finding on off-campus job too. I think the stress of searching is worse than actually working. I feel like a puppy in the pet shop window, with each passerby pleading, “Pick me! Pick me!”

5. I’ve set up a tentative schedule for myself that includes exercise, writing, and nap times. I know I’ll be more productive if I can get myself to actually follow it. I’m optimistic though.

6. I love the texture of books, but when I realized that all the nineteenth century novels I wanted to read are free on iTunes, I had to give up the physical book in exchange for free digital text. I still wish I were reading them on paper instead of on my phone, but free is free.

7. I have a couple of friends who are going through some tough times right now for different reasons. I don’t want to put any more than that out on the interwebs, but prayers for them would be appreciated, as well as prayers for me as I try to find the right ways to be there for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment