In This Establishment

It’s been a bleak few weeks. Several large SCOTUS decisions dropped, along news of laws that, I imagine, will be challenged up to the Supreme Court. One in particular is the Oklahoma state superintendent mandating that the Bible be taught in every classroom in grades 5-12. This comes on the heels of Louisiana mandating that the 10 Commandments be displayed in every classroom.

The good faith argument is that the Bible is a historically relevant document, and understanding its contents and influence is important in areas such as literature and civics. Which, I agree. A basic understanding of Christian influence and Bible allusions can be a component of a solid foundation in certain subjects. But the good faith argument falls apart when the law states that it must be taught in every classroom (in math? in health?) and doesn't give specific context on how.

According to the superintendent is the Bible “a necessary historical document to teach our kids about the history of this country, to have a complete understanding of Western civilization.” Yet the U.S. Constitution isn’t required in every class. It's an attempt to create a secular reason for the Bible to be taught in every classroom, thus claiming it's not a First Amendment violation. But what if your civic and religious beliefs are intertwined? In an interview with PBS NewHour, he said that he wanted to fight a “liberal” version of history. So this is really about establishing a version of history that he wants, which is a Christian nationalist one. And that Christianity being established is a specific form: there is a “right,” “government-endorsed” version of religion, and you’re either a “good” Christian falling in line or you’re an enemy attacking the faith.

The push to include the Bible, the Ten Commandments, and Christian prayer in public school is growing. These people seem to believe that posters on the wall and mandated displays of faith will somehow make Christians. In reality, it will make non-Christians feel unwelcome and turn people away from a faith that appears so insincere and pushed on them. It is not a genuine form of protolyzing; it is mandated expression of faith. True conversion comes from an encounter, from sharing, from love. True faith grows internally, from the Holy Spirit. Why would anyone want a public school teacher, who may or may not share your religious beliefs, be the one instructing children on what Christianity "really" is?

As an American, I’m angry at the attempts to subvert a system meant to be open to all people, to defund public services for private oligarchs, to turn a country of freedom into a cult requiring loyalty oaths. As a Christian, I’m disgusted by what they’re doing to Christianity. They twist the words of Christianity to claim their power-seeking is some noble quest. They say they want to bring morals and faith back to society, but their actions say otherwise. They do not favor the poor or peacemakers. They do not turn the other cheek. They do not spread the Gospel with love. They use power and fear. What kind of Christian witness is that?

And what am I to do? Speak out when I can. Vote when I can. Have difficult conversations when I can. I pray a lot, though probably not properly. I pray for justice. I pray for an awakening. I pray that this country will preserve as a democracy. I pray that churches won’t succumb to empty promises of political power. My prayers are selfish, self-preserving, often formed in anger. But I also pray to overcome my anger at these forces and not let hatred fester in my heart. I’m trying.

But ultimately, what I am to do is follow Christ. Not follow talking heads and political tacticians using Christianity in bad faith. I am called to be the best example of Christian I can be. I can work to be a counter-example of those who take His name in vain. Love is the antidote. Love is hard. Love is localized and personal and vulnerable. Love is where God is. God is Love. His is the real power and real glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment